Animal Care Internships for College Students
Thank you for your interest in our internship program! The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium offers Animal Care Internships in six different regions: Africa, Asia Quest, Australia and the Islands, Congo Expedition, North America, and Shores.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive each year, it is most beneficial for candidates to apply for their top 2 internships, rather than all of them.
*There is no veterinary hospital internship offered at this time.
The Human Resources Department administers the Zoo's Internship program but interns will report directly to individual supervisors in the various departments. We do not provide housing for our interns. It is the responsibility of the intern to arrange and pay for housing and all other associated costs of living for the duration of the internship. All positions will remain open until filled.
Congo Expedition Internship
Student Assistant Positions for College Students
Our student assistant positions are for students currently enrolled or have graduated within six months of college. Unlike our Animal Care and the Wilds Internships, the student assistant positions are paid and are in a variety of departments. All positions require the ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays and are subject to a BMV check, Criminal Background check and Drug Free Workplace Policy.
- This position may assist in updating the Conservation Collection Management Committee funding database as well as preparing manuals pertaining to Animal Care and AZA Collection planning.
- PC literate-MS Office, Publisher and database management.
- Biology, Zoology, Fish and Wildlife Studies, Museum Studies, History, Computer Science majors desired.
Finance Student Assistant
- Provides assistance within the Finance Department primarly focusing on Accounts Payable.
- Accounts Payable duties include matching invoices, expense account coding, entry into accounting software, check mailing, check filing, and additional Finance Department duties as time permits.
- Majoring in Accounting or related field.
Group Sales Student Assistant
- Will work alongside our Sales Representatives to help plan and implement client events. Main responsibility will be reaching out to clients to confirm event details.
- 3rd or 4th year student in Marketing, Hospitality Management, or related program.
Project Design Student Assistant
- Assists in updating and maintaining the archival construction document system, managing the Building Identification Campus system, assisting with the campus wide Accessibility Assessment project (Confirmation of ADA compliance), and working on the Deed/Easement Project for Zoo properties. Additional duties will consist of document retrieval and document research to support ongoing projects within the Planning and Design Department.
- 3rd or 4th year college student in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management, Landscape Architecture or related program.
- A minimum of 30 hours/week, Mon-Fri
Revenue Student Assistant
- Takes part in cash auditing, cash handling protocols, and other internal auditing policies that will aid the Revenue Department in achieving a strong and sustainable financial foundation.
- 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year status in school with a major in Accounting, Finance, Business, or related field. Previous cash handling experience.
- 20-30 hours a week, varied days Sunday-Saturday.
Deadline to apply is 5/1/14
Safari Golf Club Student Assistant
- Position will contribute to the goal of providing great golf experiences for our guests and also assist with production of strategic communications (via website, social media, etc).
- College student or recent graduate in Marketing, Communication, Sports Management or related field.
The Wilds Internships
Please note that the Wilds is located in Cumberland, Ohio. These positions are unpaid and housing is provided for the duration of your internship.