The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is searching for enthusiastic, conservation-minded adults, ages 18 and older, to volunteer in our animal contact areas. By attracting and retaining quality, committed individuals, the Zoo will be able to maintain our #1 Zoo in America status! We choose volunteers who are best suited for each position and who possess the necessary skills, education, experience and qualifications to fit the requirements needed.
Volunteers are utilized in our animal contact areas. These areas include: Kangaroo Walkabout, Touch Pool, Reptile Keeper Lab, My Barn at Habitat Hollow, Lorikeets and Mainland Asia Aviary. If you are accepted as an adult volunteer, placement will occur based on your availability and experience. These opportunities are primarily long-term and volunteers are assigned based on operational needs and availability. Each area will have a predetermined number of volunteers needed, with each volunteer making a commitment to volunteer at least 55 hours a year.
We are no longer taking volunteer applications for the 2014 season. Adult volunteer applications for 2015 will be posted in the fall of 2014.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL ADULT POSITIONS
• High school diploma or equivalent required
• Must successfully complete all necessary training prior to volunteering in an animal contact area
• Able to balance multiple assignments successfully
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Able to maintain courteous and helpful behavior
• Able to perform volunteer duties in a team and/or individually with minimal supervision
• Able to perform volunteer duties in varied weather conditions (i.e. heat, cold, snow or rain)
• Maintains friendly, positive attitude towards guests
• Able to maintain appropriate volunteer appearance
• Able to perform volunteer duties on a flexible schedule if needed, including weekends, evenings and/or holidays
• Able to adhere to all safety protocol
• Able to maintain confidentiality regarding the Zoo’s animal collection when required
• Subject to Drug-free Workplace Policy
• Subject to criminal background check